Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A trip to the Farm

I went with K-lady to a small private farm for a school field trip a few weeks ago - it reminded me of home in so many good ways - trails through the forest, chickens, small orchard, gardens-gardens-gardens. It seemed so odd to me that this was such a new and strange experiences for these kids to see food that grows out of the ground!  And eggs that come from a chicken!  And tromping through the woods was definitely new. 
We had chickens like these when I was a kid - we named them Paula Abdul and Janet Jackson.  :)  They just seemed so trendy w/ their black and white back in the early nineties!  I guess some styles are timeless.
They let the chickens roam freely through the fenced orchard - natural bug repellent.  (I didn't think to ask how they keep the predators away from the chickens.)  The orchard was in full bloom - I felt like I stepped right into an L.M. Montgomery book.  :) A gorgeous green house overflowing with foliage, and sweet little babies - calves, kittens, kids - all over the place.  That rooster was a hoot - what a poser! (or does that make him a cock? Is that too PG for this blog?)
K-lady was great - she let me take as many pictures as I wanted. :)
Am I the only one who pines (along somewhat romantic lines) for a sweet little spot of earth far away from the pavement?

16 comments:

heather said...

I'm sure K-lady was happy to have you all to herself! Sounds just like home - I love it!

Sheffer's said...

You're not the only one who wants some earth to live quietly on! :D Well, as quietly as 3 boys can be, at least. ;) We can't wait to get out of the suburbs (as nice as they are) and out onto a few acres. I dream of chickens, a huge garden(flower and vegetable), lots of grass for the kids to mow and play on and a comfortable house to raise our family in. *sigh* Someday, right?

The Dooley Family said...

Haha i'd love land like that (and I KNOW Mitch would go for it!) but I can't imagine all the work--especially when it's something neither one of us grew up with!

Missy said...

Love your pictures too, especially the cow one. Too fun!

KT said...

Looks like you had a beautiful day together!

Mindora.Mae said...

Of course not!! Mom asked me the other day if I still wanted to go to school and I told her "Yes, but what I really want is a farm and babies!" Still can't believe how much my dreams have changed over the past few years. I was even looking at pigs and goats that are up for adoption on Pet Finder just yesterday!

Dave said...

I didn't know "pine" was a verb, but whatever it means - I want it too...

bbfamwagon said...

We did/do have a little piece of paradise in WA, didn't/don't we -- thanks largely to a very hard-working dad. Your memories (and mine) have glossed over the mowing, weeding, animal feeding, and having to pick up a bucketful of rocks as a consequence for bad behavior!

Favorite quote from neighbor Toni: "These darn rocks! You bury one and ten more of 'em come to the funeral!!"

bbfamwagon said...

By the way, love, love, love the pictures of K-lady!

Laura said...

My girls and I talk all the time about our "someday" dream--horses!

Angela said...

K girl is so beautiful. You are such an awesome photographer Tara!

Katie said...

You are not the only one who pines, I assure you... and you've inspired me to actually spend some time today tending my own little bit of earth (despite the fact that I hate weeding).

Miss you!

Andrea said...

I love the names of your chickens. Hilarious.

robyncreates said...

We so want some land. Ryan says he wants goats and a donkey when we talk about it-then he says he likes ugly animals. lol okay...Brenden wants bees now that we learned about them. :) Anyway-looks like K had fun-she also looks way older than last summer!

Mindora.Mae said...

Tara love... isn't it time for some more blog binging? :)

Angie said...

When we're done renting, we're going to buy a home with some land. I have a friend who has 3 chickens. They look so easy to take care of! The last time I got my hair cut, the cosmetologist was also talking about the dream of owning more land, having some farm animals, and growing more of her own food.
...and we're working on figuring out how to garden. Mostly, we just kill what we plant. Or it sort-of survives.