Wednesday, May 5, 2010

side tracked....


It all started with a little Spring cleaning.....  I had really good intentions of making my way through the whole house, collecting mounds of things to donate, leaving me with a sparkling home, full of things that I either 'know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.'  That way when I pack up in June (dah! next month! where are we going?!) it'll be easier, right? 
But when I got to K and A's room, this bookshelf was buggin' me.  This is the pretty picture of the bookshelf - but we were well beyond pretty.  It was just a clutter collection spot - K-lady had a make-shift desk coming off the second shelf, and it was stashed FULL of half-colored pages, partially finished projects, art supplies, tea sets, CD's and junk.  We keep 'cleaning' it out, but it just doesn't stay clean - it was driving me nuts.  
So I listed it on Craigslist and told K-lady we'd get her a desk to replace it (hopefully one w/ less storage space for stuff we don't need!). 
I looked around half-heartedly for a used desk, but finally decided I'd just make my own.  I've been eyeing this blog for months now, and could no longer resist it's siren call.....
a quick trip to Home Depot while J-boy and K-lady were in school - just me and Baby A and Chip at the saw, cutting all my pieces to size for me right then and there.  This is how to fit a whole sheet of plywood in a mini van. :)

 
My back patio was transformed into a shop!  I found that this is a great way to get to know your neighbors. :)
 
Here she is at the end of day one - rough around the edges, but that's what power sanders are for!!! 
and at the end of day three...
And finally finished, covered in the clutter that moved here from the shelf.  K-lady has also requested a hutch!  More shelves??!!!  I guess I can't win 'em all.  :) 
But I do love this desk!  And it feels GREAT!  I told my wonderful neighbor, Matt, (who let's me borrow his tools and use his garage - SO NICE!), "I feel so powerful!"  and he said, "Why do you think us guys' do it?"  It took about $90 and 1 week of working on it here and there, during naps, after bedtime.  I could have just gone to Pottery Barn and bought it here, but where's the fun in that??  :)

Now back to that spring cleaning (as soon as I'm done with the bookshelf waiting for stain in the basement, an ottoman for K's desk, and a hutch....)


I ♥ power tools. And Knock-Off Wood blog!
Knock-Off Wood

12 comments:

Sheffer's said...

Gorgeous! I'm jealous, I've been wanting to try to build something for a while now, but have no place to put anything! :D

Ashlee said...

YAAHHHOOOOO!!! I love it!! SO cute and a GREAT job!! I just built the little step stool but made it a little longer to put on our front porch for some plants..still have to sand it though! I'm addicted..can't wait till I have a bigger house and can build more! A kitchen table and chairs eventually, and maybe a loft bed for G..so he will have more floor space.

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

Great project! WHERE are you moving to--more importantly!

Angela said...

Beautiful! You Adamson kids are so crafty! I love it!

Angela said...

Oh, I love the quote in your other blog. I just got back from a crazy shopping morning at Target so the quote helped me repent from all the not very nice thoughts I had while trying to shop with my kids. Thanks! =)

Missy said...

Holy cow! Is there anything you can't do??? Love this!

The Dooley Family said...

Wow!! I agree--there isn't a thing you can't do, lady!!

Oh, and as far as the "come, follow me" post I left you earlier, I taught my kids the wrong song for the month...I thought it was July, I guess! :oP So, now they know it and we're just switching May and July. So just disregard that :o) You probly think i'm nuts!!

Anyway, i'm going to visit that knock off wood blog...I keep hearing about it and seeing yours and Ashlee's creations and falling in love with them!!

Mindy said...

YOU ARE MY HERO!!! Huraah for power tools!!! West Seattle is starting a power tool library and I just can't wait to check out a miter saw!

heather said...

I love Matt's response to why guys do it! So funny - and it looks SO good. Great job Tara. I honestly adore you and want to be like you. :)

Dave said...

When I saw the finished project picture first I totally thought you took some standard nightstand and just added the top and legs. Looks great Tara!!! Way to go. Just tell Joseph that "Power tools are the gift that just keeps on giving!"

bbfamwagon said...

Tara, this is awesome, I'm so impressed. Lucky K-lady and anyone else who gets to enjoy your projects! Love you all!

Katie said...

That is such an impressive desk!