Friday, February 12, 2010

Good food and our 'adventure'

On my birthday we had dinner with Heather and Ryan and L - we decided appetizers would be fun and out-of-the-ordinary. So Joseph made the pina coladas (aren't they so cool?!), I made the shrimp, Costco provided the mini quiche, Ryan & Heather made the bruschetta, the fruit & veggie plates and the artichoke dip w/ pita chips. Oh yum. This is making me hungry.
 
Lucky for me, they only put 5 candles on the cake - and I still barely got them all out (something about blowing on food someone else is going to eat in the middle of H1N1 season just didn't feel right...)

Joseph made me a movie - Tara-through-the-years style (his first 'music videon' - Heidi, you'd be so proud!!), and then I opened my presents - I think K-lady was a little more than excited. :)  All told, it was a great birthday.

The next day was a little unsettling - we'd been planning on going to GA for another years' residency. Joseph flew to GA to interview and they unofficially offered him the chief resident position. For residency we go through a 3rd party to actually get the job - it's called the match. So this third party gets a list of all the schools you want, and they get a list from the school of all the residents they want, and they 'match' it up.
We didn't match at GA. Which was a bit of a shock, and really, truth be told, just made me mad - isn't it kind of wrong to lead us on like that?!  So now we've begun digging into the practice search - we want a retiring dentist who wants a quick transition (1 month or less). And there we go, off into adulthood and career path!

So if any of you know of any retiring dentists, let us know! (silly aside - the phrase retiring dentist makes me think of southern belles and sweet, coquettish manners - that's not what I meant.)  I go from being mildly terrified to terribly anxious. I told a friend I used to think the 'bend in the road' ala Anne of Green Gables was romantic and intriguing. Now it's just obnoxious. Who wants a bend?! Especially with 3 kids and students loans coming due!! AGH!

Meanwhile Joseph just tells me, "It's our adventure!" Isn't it nice that when one of us feels like we're falling apart, the other one has it together? Bless him and his adventure! I'm sure it will all work out. It always does, right?
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Alison Woods said...

Those match programs are really weird, we know. I wish I knew a retiring dentist here, I'd love to have you as a neighbor! BTW, how does your hair grow so fast??

Rachel said...

So if I can find a retiring dentist here, you'd consider moving here?:)

Andrea said...

I hate the match. Believe me we know all about how your life can feel like it is falling apart, but just remember God knows better.

Sheffer's said...

I never told you, Happy Birthday!! Welcome to being 30. It's awesome. We'll pray for a retiring dentist around OP for you. Why did we think finishing school would be so exciting? I'm just nervous and stressed about it!

heather said...

I'm telling ya ... if this is ANY kind of blessing in disguise it only means that you might stay in Ohio for a few more weeks and be able to see a new baby! :) I'm praying that this is the meaning behind it all ... we shall see!! Love you!

heather said...

I guess you staying in town is really much more of a blessing for ME rather than YOU ... but I'll try to phrase it in any way to make it seem like it's truly beneficial for you and your fam. Your kids would LOVE to meet a new cousin! :)

Christal said...

Okay, Tara...after reading this post...I need to call you! I'll see if I can't find your number around here....(((hugs)))

Angela said...

I love K's excitement! =)

Oh career adventures...I wish we had a stable place to live. I'd go out right now to find a retiring dentist so you could move close to us!. But in 16 more years we will, can you wait that long? =)

Good luck you guys! Sorry GA didn't work out.

The Dooley Family said...

I'm sorry about the match program! Not cool! Too bad the practice he basically got offered the intern practice at can't, like, override it or anything! So sorry! Good luck! You're making me nervous for optometry school! I feel like it'll be EONS before we even get there!!

Missy said...

It always does work out somehow...you could always go the route Angie and Rob did and start your own, new practice! But that's just crazy talk!
Happy late Birthday!

Katie said...

I am going to start looking for retiring dentists in Olympia... because I'm selfish like that...

I am glad you had a lovely birthday. The pictures of the food are, as always, mouth-watering. You could open a catering business. Seriously.

Katie said...

Also, I know what you mean about the bend in the road. I swore I'd never get stodgy as an adult, but I REALLY don't look forward to those big, upsetting life changes. Less like an adventure, more like a pain.

Huh. We must be getting old.

bbfamwagon said...

What a lovely birthday party -- Welcome to the middle ages! (j/k...) About the new location --you will all bless so many lives wherever you end up. Love to you all!

Jessica said...

Hope you had a great b-day! 30's are the best, except for those BENDS! I feel ya sista--ours is like a never-ending curly-Q road. What happened to the straight & narrow path? That would be nice once in a while...

Angie said...

I asked Rob if he knew of any dentists about to retire here in Prescott. But he doesn't. We'll keep our ears open.

Do you know where you want to live? One of our friends wanted to live in Montana...so he emailed every potential retiring orthodontist in the areas where he wanted to live to find out if they were close to retirement. He got a nibble that way. He said email worked better than regular mail because the orthodontists would immediately respond...no, I'm not planning on retiring, or what's your phone number so we can talk.

That aside...that takes months to work out (secure the loan, work out the contract, etc). It might almost be better to find an immediate associate opening somewhere and then look for the permanent option later (if your main concern is an immediate paycheck).

For us, I always knew that Rob would prefer to start/own his own practice...and not buy one out and have the hassles with that. We realized that if we started straight out of school, we would still be used to living like poor students so the sacrifice wouldn't be so large. We figured that we might as well go through that headache now rather than later. I'm glad we went with that choice.

And then (yeah...can you tell we have just been in this process?)...there is always the possibility of starting his own practice...then you get to choose where you want to live. It's a lot of work...but all things that are worth it in life are a lot of work.

Feel free to call me if you want to talk (or cry!). (Just email me your phone number.) It's a very stressful decision to make. Good luck!