Saturday, February 27, 2010

Valentine's Day

(I think these pictures have aged sufficiently that I can now blog about them)
Heather, Ryan and L joined us for Valentine's Day dinner - it was really fun. It seems like having more people around always makes it a better celebration. We had Heather's red chicken with pink rice, pink faux-tatoes (mashed cauliflower - not a big hit!), and salad with strawberries and bacon. Mmmm bacon. Heather also made the awesome cupcakes - so pretty!!!
The night before Heather had babysat for us so Joseph and I could go to a Valentine's party. It was so fun! We played a few games, carved our initials in the 'love tree' (a bare-branched paper tree taped to the wall), the girls made cards for the husbands while the husbands drew crayon dipictions of our first date (the girls had to pick which one was their own). The ladies brought their husbands favorite desserts (Joseph got a hot-lava-ish-fudge cake w/ ice cream & hot fudge sauce), and the husbands brought a poem they'd written for their wives. Joseph's was beautiful - it was so sweet - I had to be careful not to cry. :)  Joseph and I won one of the games and got a prize - some Valentine's treats including Twilight conversation hearts (not the ones in the bowl up there)!  I laughed so hard - things like "True Love" and "Forever" and "Bite Me."  So romantic. :)
Joseph is a great husband, and it was lovely to have our own little Valentine's night. And then to celebrate again with our darling family the next day was just the icing on the cake (or cupcake, as the case may be).
Valentine's Day completely destroyed my diet (I was doing a little South Beach action - hence the mashed faux-tatoes). But that's okay. I was not very happy without my carbs and fruit in phase one, so now I'm skipipng to phase two(ish) -- I feel like it's a better balance now. I'm hoping that someday I can actually figure out how to eat sweets in moderation and have one of those active, fit and healthy lifestyles (a proper ending to a post that began with a humongous bowl full of candy, right?)

6 comments:

bbfamwagon said...

Kendra got a box of those Twilight conversation hearts for Valentine's Day a year ago -- still hasn't eaten them. I doubt the flavor has improved with age, but the messages are timeless, aren't they? :-)

Lovely to see you all -- can't wait till it's in person!

bbfamwagon said...

I meant :-). Please.

Andrea said...

When you figure out how to balance let me know.

The Dooley Family said...

too cute! My mom always did an all-pink meal: pink lemonade (or a choice of strawberry milk...it usually won!), red/pink chicken (she died it after it cooked, not to worry!), pink mashed potatoes, etc. We all loved it and she got after Mitch and me for not doing the same...there are only two of us! Way too much work for two people!

Missy said...

Don't worry! I just blogged about V-day today. :)
Your food always looks SO yummy!

Angela said...

How fun! You guys are serious about V-Day! =) Your date with Jo sounds so romantic!