Friday, July 10, 2009

Great Divide Mountain Bike Ride


Day One - Leaving Jasper, Colorado

So... there's a gaping hole in the narrative of our lives (aka the Lotsa Lovin' Blog). Just where did we go? Just what did we do? I know you've all be sitting on pins and needles waiting to find out about our awkward silence. :) Here's a peak into one of the adventures from the past two months.

First, just a wee bit of history.

In 2004, my dad, two brothers and a cousin began this adventure. They started out at the Port of Rooseville on the Canadian border and rode their mountain bikes, towing B.O.B. trailers down a route that stays within 50 miles of the Continental Divide. That year they ended in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. The next year, 2005, they picked up the trail in Steamboat Springs and rode for about a week to Del Norte, Colorado when things unraveled a little. Dad took a fall, and wasn't able to finish the ride. My brother took the Greyhound to Salt Lake to grab a car, and my dad drove the 'support vehicle' while my brothers and cousin finished the ride to the Mexican border.

Every summer since then Dad's been trying to figure out how to finish his ride. With Joseph's graduation and the 4 week break before residency began, it was the perfect opportunity to have a buddy on the trail.



Because they were riding so early in the season, the snow made it impossible to start in Del Norte. So they picked up the trail in Jasper. Joseph rode 565 miles in 11 days (add in 2 rest days for a total of 13 days on the trail), but he injured his leg and wasn't able to finish the last 3 days. So he hitchhiked to the nearest greyhound station and caught a bus back up to Colorado where my sweet aunt left Dad's truck for Joseph to pick up. Then Joseph drove the support vehicle for the last few days and 190 or so miles, following my dad to the border.


It sounds like it was an amazing trip. Joseph says it was absolutely worth the effort -- tough, but beautiful. I'm intrigued by the idea of such complete solitude - out in the middle of nowhere, propelled only by your own strength, alone with your thoughts and feelings. (I'm probably so intrigued because I have at least one child hanging off of some appendage most hours of most days). :)
Trip highlights:
Spending a beautiful rest day with Enoch and his family one week into the trip -- this was after riding hard (till midnight) to get to a hotel in Cuba, only to find all the hotels closed. Instead of the much anticipated clean bed, the boys camped behind the Conoco by the dumpsters and AC compressor. Not exactly restful.

Visiting with friends along the trail that Dad met 4 years ago -- they even let my stinky dad and husband sleep on their living room floor! And gave Joseph & Dad a history lesson on the Navajo nation. Thanks, Dennis!

Seeing lots of wildlife - including a black bear - and lots of beautiful wild flowers.

Finding pure beautiful springs just in the nick of time (Joseph REALLY didn't want to drink that brown stuff he tried to filter out of a cow field mud hole....)

Riding straight into horrific headwinds ALL DAY LONG on several occassions -- granny gears pumping and only going about 4 miles an hour.... that's when Joseph's knee started hurting (it's all better now!).

Riding through hail and rain, from burning heat to freezing cold.

Riding down hills.

Taking a shower.

Mailing home 25 pounds of stuff they didn't need (including dirty laundry!).

Getting excited for future adventures.......
Anyway, I'm proud of Joseph and my Dad - they are AWESOME!
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Katie said...

Wow. Just reading about this, I'm feeling even fleshier and lazier than usual.

On another note, I have 86 school-related things to do before I can start the school year. I realize that counting up like that makes me an anal-retentive freak show. Sadly, the labeled list (with check boxes!) makes me feel better about my life...

I realize that bit about my list is totally off-topic, but I thought you would appreciate it!

Dave said...

Thanks for the post - what a ride. It was such a blessing to be able to follow you on the route via the internet while I was stuck on the other side of the world... Is Joseph going to make any posts on his blog?

Ashlee said...

Wow! That is amazing! Way to go Joseph. I would love to do something like that..in theory!! I do love the outdoors and being in nature though. I like Enoch's rock too!that made me laugh!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the posts. These are great! Congrats to the cyclists!
This is Nancy with Grandma who would dearly love to have your new address. We trust that you're settling in and still very busy!

robyncreates said...

WOW! Ryan would so love to do this someday....I am intrigued, but not quite as anxious...haha

Patty said...

The pictures and story are awesome. I think I would love to do that someday, although definately get in really good shape first. Good job, Joseph. We miss you guys here in Kansas. I can't wait to see pictures of where you live now.

Angie said...

What an adventure. I'll have to show Rob about it...then he'll want to do it!

robyncreates said...

Okay, so we will PROBABLY be going up to a fam reunion in New Hampshire next month (It's still contingent on a few things...)and if we go, we will go through Columbus and thought it would be fun to stop and see you and Heater. I'll send her a msg too-didn't know if you guys might have room to put us up for a night too? We wouldn't stay long, really just an afternoon/evening and out the next am most likely b/c we will be somewhat hurried in going there and catching some sights along the way...just thought I would see if you guys will be in town...it would be mid-August...

TPlayer said...

I'm sad to say I'm JUST NOW finding your blog...and to think that all this time we could have been sharing all of the details of our lives :)