Tuesday, October 21, 2008

October Camp Out


The hot 'n' humid midwest doesn't make for much good camping during the summer months (I'm biased in the direction of mountain-range and on-the-beach camping). But if you time it just right, enjoyable family car camping is possible in the Fall or Spring. The first weekend in October was just such a time! We went with two other families, and had a great time. We lucked out with a site adjacent to the playground, and far enough from the lake to keep it from being a temptation to little would-be-swimmers. All three families had babies (a 10 month old, a 6 month old, and a 2 month old!), but the babies did really well overall, and the weather was great -- it rained just before we got there, so the kids got filthy and wet on the playground - a proper beginning to a campout. Then it was a little chilly and damp in the morning, but it made you appreciate the fire! We had fantastic food -- cobbler, tin foil dinners, s'mores, sausage/eggs/pancakes, & hot chocolate (Kim brought two giant cans of Stephens' - YUM). There was an old-school playground (merry-go-round, swings, tall metal slide) and a newer playground. Joel tied a glow stick to his son to keep track of him once it got dark -- it was funny to see the disembodied glow stick floating up and down about the playground. :) The kids fished for a little bit Saturday morning, but didn't get so much as a nibble. We missed the Saturday morning session of conference, but got 3 or 4 phone calls between us letting us know about the KC area temple announcement. How exciting!!
I think my favorite part was sitting around the camp fire in the morning, chatting with the grown-ups and watching while the kidlets played. And I loved that Joseph let the kids stay up as late as they wanted to, playing late into the night. Good times
Little Ms. A enjoyed the adventure from the comfort of Heidi's sling -- I'm LOVIN' the sling thing. I decided I shouldn't hoard Heidi's, so I made my own two days later. :)
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Sheffer's said...

I still need that link for the directions to make my own sling! :D

heather said...

Okay, first, I LOVE K's freckles!! Do you tell her they are angel-kisses? That was the only way I used to like mine was a kid.

Second, I think J-boy is going to be such a hunk when he grows up! Oh, he looks good!

Third, camping with a two-month old! I thought we were nuts when we camped when L was three months! Whew! You're amazing! :) Love you!

bbfamwagon said...

What fun! The pictures of the kids are just adorable!

Angela said...

I also love K's freckles. She is so beautiful. I also love the picture of J carrying the chair. They are actually all great pictures! That's awesome you all went camping!

Katie said...

Your family is adorable, and I miss you like crazy.

Glad you had fun camping!

I had fun trying on my new apron... :)

Jessica said...

I SO wish we could have gone--I love camping and we haven't been in soooo long!!! (REAL camping, not Kansas camping) Sebastien said you guys are still thinking about moving to Seattle--is there any way I could get you to lean towards that idea more? That would be so FUN! Game nights galore! And you could finally meet your twin family (my cousin's family). Keep us posted!

HLFackrell said...

What a fun time. My kids love to go camping, but you're right summer camping in the midwest isn't the greatest. Late spring or early fall I think are the best times for it here.

Andrea said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I bet it was an adventure with those three adorable babies.