Thursday, June 12, 2008

A trip to Utah

Joseph had a little bit of time off between semesters at school, so we took off to Utah for a fun visit with family the 2nd week of May. We also wanted to check out Cache Valley and the Ogden area -- possible locations for Joseph to buy a practice and set up his clinic next year (dah! all this time it's been in the far distant future, and now that it's almost in sight I'm kind of freaking out about it! At what point do you finally start to feel ready for grown up stuff like that? I've been putting it off for about 10 years now...)
Anyway, we spent a beautiful wonderful week with my fabulous parents - I so love being in their home! They help me feel so good about life in general - the atmosphere is just home. The downside of that comfortable atmosphere is that I didn't take ANY pictures while we were there. I just decompressed the entire time -- after all the work of moving and end-of-the-year stuff for preschool and music classes and piano lessons and music recitals and being pregnant for a 16-hour drive I suppose I just needed to breathe slowly and deeply for a little while. And I needed to play mom's 7 foot grand piano. Amazing how healing that is! :)
My kids had free reign of the house -- 3 floors, so much room (we're not used to that here at home!), 3 dogs, a cat, a fenced backyard, a few of my old toys and some new ones that a smart grandma keeps handy, 2 loving and patient grandmas, a grandpa with lots of fun tools, funny Uncle Scott, fabulous Aunty Kendra who patiently played with a worshipful neice & tag-along nephew, a trampoline, a quiet cul-de-sac.... sigh. Good times! :)
Joseph's brothers in Kaysville had a Father/Sons Campout over the weekend, so he & J-boy got to go play. They had a great time -- I know because they lingered for 7 hours longer than they thought they would, and J-boy was utterly EXHAUSTED when they finally made it back to my parents. :)

6 comments:

Missy said...

I guess I'm a little behind on things with you!! I didn't know your parents lived in Utah and I didn't know you guys were thinking about setting up a practice here!! That's great!

Andrea said...

Isn't it just so nice to be HOME, at parents. I do the same thing. I hardly have any pics of my kids with their grandparents, because I go into shut down mode.

Dave said...

You didn't take any pictures? Your description was wonderful, but pictures make it so much easier to live vicariously through you. I need more UT time. The Bird is still open this weekend....but I'm baking like a toasted cheeser in Jersey. :) I love you.

Kate Diamond said...

Yay! Utah is closer than Kansas... but don't forget the west coast! :)

Grown up stuff... I know what you mean. I was weeding our flowerbed yesterday and suddenly it hit me, "Woah. I'm a homeowner. And I've just signed a contract to have the same job for three years in a row now." It's all a little surreal, isn't it?

Miss you tons. Love reading your updates--so glad you got to relax with your parents!

Stephanie & Brad Bishop said...

My grandparents lived in Weston, Idaho their entire lives and I got to visit Cache VAlley every summer until their death 10 years ago. I have such fond memories of that beautiful valley, Cache Valley Cheese, Pepperide Farms and the Logan Mall and Hot Springs!

Even though this year will be filled with life-changing decisions, wherever you go, you will take with you your fabulous children and husband and grow your new family to thrive in a new community. Who knows, maybe that will be the KC area. Our ward certainly will mourn your loss if you decide that elsewhere is "home."

Stephanie

http://sebishop4.blogspot.com/

heather said...

You know what's even better than visiting family? Know that when you say goodbye, it will only be a month and a half before you see them again! Isn't it fun to think of them all driving out to visit us all? :) Even though you and I won't see each other, I'll feel a little more connected since they will see you, and see me right after! Love ya!!