Friday, September 21, 2012

Home Sweet Home

 Almost a year ago we closed on our house!  I thought maybe it was time to show you around the place.  So we'll start with the living room, shall we??  I'm a sucker for before and afters, so that's what I'm doing here.
Here we are a day or two after we closed.  Previous owner had left us a few treasures and a lot of messes to clean out, but this is mostly what it looked like when we closed.  This is the view from the front door (the white door in the orange wall opens to the garage)
And the same room from the opposite side (now you can see the front door behind the half-wall-with-balusters).  We decided to start the process by tearing out those half-walls.
 What does a can of vintage Grapette have to do with the living room???  This is what we found in one of those half walls!  Our very own time-capsulized blast-from-the-past some thoughtful construction worker left for us to find 30-some years later.  :)  The soda was long gone.
Goodbye half walls, goodbye orange wall! 
 Goodbye popcorn ceiling!  Hello newly painted every single surface in the entire house!  Hello electrical fiasco moving the 4 switches that had been on that half wall!
 And whoops - I missed a few steps of the process.  Then we ripped out the carpet, kitchen flooring & little square of entry tile, repaired the subfloor (did you know I can fit an entire sheet of 3/4 inch plywood in the back of my swagger wagon and close the tailgate?!  I have to scoot my drivers seat as far forward as possible, knees hitting the dash, but it can be done.)  Then we started installing the new wood floor through this room and the kitchen.  Then we moved in before we finished installing the new wood floor.  It got done eventually....
 So here's the official afters - the view from the door...
 the view from the other side....
 a naked family tree - I'll get some illustrious ancestors names on there someday....


 It is good to be home!  :)

7 comments:

Missy said...

Wow! Looks like you almost had to gut the whole place! LOVE the collage picture wall!!

Andrea said...

TARA. SWOON. I love it. I love your style. You worked so hard. I bet you are loving your finished result. I love the tree art, and the collage wall. I also love the bright pop of color with the pillow accents. YOU ARE AWESOME!

Angela said...

Your house looks so clean! =) You are awesome! I love all the changes and how beautiful it turned out! Cannot wait to see more!!

bbfamwagon said...

You do have such style, Tara. I found one more purple pillow on clearance at Shopko and bought it, thinking of you. Want it? :-)

heather said...

Holy moly. I've been there in person and kept thinking how beautiful your home was. But seeing these pictures? It literally shocks me! I had really only glanced at the original pictures you sent me when you first bought it, and hadn't taken the time to compare it with the look of it all right now. This is amazing! You guys are my heros!

Kate Diamond said...

Wow, Tara! I just thought I'd scan your blog before going to work (conference week, so we're on icky morning hours...) But now I see I could spend all day here catching up!

I LOVE your sense of style and your do-it-yourself spirit. Makes me more determined than ever to, you know, do something about the swap-meet/college student look of my home!

Kate Diamond said...

Wow, Tara! I just thought I'd scan your blog before going to work (conference week, so we're on icky morning hours...) But now I see I could spend all day here catching up!

I LOVE your sense of style and your do-it-yourself spirit. Makes me more determined than ever to, you know, do something about the swap-meet/college student look of my home!