Thursday, August 18, 2011

10 years


10 years ago I rented my wedding dress. Somehow this picture (w/o my permission, or the permission of my photographer) ended up in a Utah Valley Bride magazine with the caption, "Can you believe it's a rental?" Classy, right? I didn't know whether to be flattered or furious. :)
We went to the temple in Salt Lake City on August 18th, and at 9:40 in the morning we were the 36th couple to be sealed together for time and all eternity. Busy day at the temple! I remember being amazed that the celestial room (the room that represents heaven) felt so peaceful even when my mind was reeling and my emotions changing every second. We sat there for a few quiet moments before we were ushered into a sealing room where we knelt at an alter and promised God we'd take care of each other forever.

Joseph was 25, I was 21. We were so clueless! I thought I was in love.
The good news is that today I know a little better. Joseph is my one and only. He makes my life sweet. He works hard so I can be a mom. And he understands when being a mom makes me [more than] a little spazzy (that's polite for insane). He is kinder, gentler, more forgiving, more patient today. Wouldn't it be nice if that were true for both of us?? :) We've had some ups and downs, and I know we'll have many more before we're done with this life. Today I look at these photographs and smile indulgently at the newlywed love we had. Today's love is so much better! Thank goodness we didn't give up in year 1 when I was psycho hormonal on birth control, or year 5 when dental school was making us both nuts, or in year 7 when I was pregnant and horrible to everyone with whom I had contact (for the 3rd time). (My sincere apologies if you are one of those people - what's my excuse now, right??). :) I'm so glad that we've learned to keep going, and to hang in there, and that it gets better - as long as we keep that promise we made at that alter 10 years ago.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Jenny said...

Tara, congratulations on your anniversary!! So wonderful. I totally agree with your sentiments about the love changing and getting even better over the years. And I can't believe about that picture in the magazine. Did someone point it out to you or did you notice it yourself? Have fun celebrating!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! He looked so beautiful and still today in fact you look the same. Getting older definatly agrees with you!

Alison Woods said...

What a beautiful, beautiful bride! Happy Anniversary!

Bonnie said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you!

Angie said...

I agree with your sentiments. It's amazing to me that 9 years later, I feel more now than ever that Rob's just the right man for me. He still brings out the best in me. I'm amazed at how clueless I was when we were married! How much we've been through, how much we've grown. It sure has strengthened our love, too.

Thanks for sharing!

Tiffny said...

I loved your rental dress. I never knew about the magazine. I tell everyone about it and am jealous I didn't know about it before spending a ton of $ on mine. It's now in a box in the garage. You know, in case?
Love you. Love Joseph. Love that there are a few of us in this crazy world who can say, "hey this marriage thing works."

Missy said...

How dare they? I thought magazines especially would be more careful.
10 years for us too. Crazy times. I was so clueless also when I got married. SO glad it worked out!

Andrea said...

Beautiful post and happy anniversary to one of the sweetest women I know.

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I can't believe it's been 10 years. Love your post & your honesty. :) Congrats!

heather said...

Have I ever told you just how picture perfect your wedding photos are?! I completely drool over them every time I see them. Then I look at mine and tell myself that the one thing I'll splurge on for my kids wedding is the photographer. I want them to look like yours! :)
Taking that into account, what you said is the part that I love the most about this post. I love love love you Tara, and love Joseph, and love your family and your marriage. I love that through challenges and differences you support one another and make it work. I learn a lot from you and I am grateful for that. Miss and love you!

The Dooley Family said...

So beautiful! And your wedding pictures ARE perfect!! I agree with Roxanne--you don't look any older than 21! :o)

Katie said...

Happy belated anniversary! I love this post. I'm so glad your marriage is growing (along with your beautiful family).