Sunday, July 11, 2010

a little time to play

I'm very deadline-driven - nothing like a deadline to get me to kick it in gear. So with the end of the school year fast approaching (not to mention a move), I figured it was time to tie up some loose ends!
K-lady and I made this for her teacher - the back ring says "love & grow." It was going to say "learn love grow," but the little set of metal stamps I bought was kind of lame - the A squashed flat on the first try! So we settled for a-less words. And I took the stamp set back to Harbor Freight and exchanged it for one that hasn't squashed yet. :) I followed the tutorial for this necklace from this website.
Then I slapped a few quotes together in photoshop and used up some of the misc. frames I've had kicking around (no need to move those again, right?) for some other favorite teachers.


And I needed more shelving for my stuff - this was harder than K-lady's desk - I bought cheap pine plywood that was super bowed. It would have been much easier and better to have bought something straighter and $10 more expensive. But it's done now and I learned something, and the books stay on the shelf, even if it isn't square. :) I can't get a good picture - it's wedged in the corner of the room far from natural light. But I LOVE having all my sheet music right by the piano where I can actually USE it (sigh...) These plans are also from Knock-off Wood blog.
And K-lady needed more shelving for her stuff (she really does take after me, doesn't she?). There is a set of plans for a hutch on the Knock off Wood blog that I used as my basis, but I adjusted everything to fit the desk and use scraps I already had - I only had to shell out $5 for one little 1x2 piece of trim! Yay! My dad and I are working on a little ottoman/stool to match the desk. But at the rate I'm going with this blog you won't see it till Halloween. :) (I'm sure the suspense is killing you).
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

TheSchmierneys said...

I love how crafty you are! I'm gonna miss our throw the kids in a room and try to whip up something cute craft days!

Andrea said...

I am impressed. I love the picture frames. Great idea.

I have been wanted to make those necklaces, and wondered if Harbor freight had the stamps. Thanks for the info.

Becky said...

You made something off knock off wood? You're my hero! Looks like your KC trip was fun!!

Katie said...

Wow. How long does the school year go? Is it year-round schooling?

I am impressed with you, too. Going to have to dig out that old email where you told me what photoshop program to buy. Then I'll begin to copy you with sad, sad non-crafty efforts...

Ashlee said...

Lovelovelove!! Good work!! Can't wait till I have more room for crafting/wood working!!

Patty said...

WOW! Your wood projects are amazing. About two days ago, my J said mom I want to sand and paint a bookshelf for my piano music. I'm going to share your idea with her. I can't wait to see you again sometime.

Angie said...

I'm just wondering how you have time to do this! I guess you're a pro in moving now...that takes up my priority list for about 6 months. And I'm also guessing that when you are stressed out, you create beautiful things. I just freeze.

Alison Woods said...

Wow, that's amazing!