Saturday, April 17, 2010

April Fool's

My plans for April Fools' day got hijacked by a trip to the Emergency Department (ugh, no offense to you wonderful ED docs, but I really don't like visiting you at work).
J-boy slipped climbing up a ladder at the playground - it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't too fun, either. We'd ridden our bikes over and met up with Heather and then Ryan stopped off on his way home from school. J-boy hit his chin, Ryan (med-student-super-hero) checked him out and drove us home while Heather rode my bike w/ her baby and K-lady back to our house. I was SO GLAD they were there! I wasn't excited about J-boy riding his bike with his chin dripping blood all the way home. :) And though my little stock of bandaids and neosporin came in handy, it wasn't quite enough!
Joseph was still at work, and (bless them!) Heather and Ryan stayed with the girls so I could take J-boy to what I thought was our urgent care clinic. Nope! Scary part of town and scary psycho clinic (literally and descriptively - psychiatric care). After chatting with a phone-nurse via cell for a while I ended up just taking him to Children's Hospital where the urgent clinic said, "Sorry we don't do stitches! To the ED for you!" Which roughly translates to "This may take a while."
(nice nostril shot, no?)
J-boy did great the whole time we were waiting. But as soon as the doc came in to start with the sutures he freaked out. Poor boy was so worn out by then (he fell around 5:00, and finally got stitched up around 9:00), and though I'm pretty sure the local anesthetic stuff worked it couldn't numb his imagination. :)
Finally we made it out - never counted the stitches since I was wracking my brains to come up with some wonderfully diverting and distracting story I could share (the only thing I came up with were stories about my own stitches experiences.... I don't think that helped). :) But he had somewhere around 8. The doctor said no bike riding or running or jumping or being-a-boy for a week while they healed. That lasted almost 16 hours, which I felt was probably long enough. After all, we had Easter eggs to hunt and zoos to visit. :) All's well that ends well!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this all to well!! But holy cow your wait was a lot longer. Hope he is feeling better :-)

Missy said...

Poor kid! Sounds like a nightmare trying to get help. I hope it's healing well.

Andrea said...

Poor guy. I hope he is feeling better.

Angela said...

How sad! And how are you going to stop him from jumping and running and everything else?! I hope he heals fast! Please, give him a big hug from us!

Katie said...

Poor J-Boy! I feel his pain... literally.

We'll be scar twins (I had a similar injury after trying to ride Dan's bike down a hill. I think I was 2 or 3 at the time.)

Are his stitches going to dissolve, or will they need to be taken out?

heather said...

L LOVES to watch the videos of your kids. I think we might have watched them like 30 times today already. He just laughs and laughs at J-boy. So fun! I'm glad J-boy's healing well!