Thursday, October 22, 2009

One last taste of summer...

I don't know what it is with me, but I have this need to let my pictures and memories age a little before I can commit to blogging them. Okay, I'm just a HORRIBLE PROCRASTINATOR and I'm either into the blog or out of the blog, and I guess the last month has been an out-of one. So I give you the end of September a month late.

My sweet dad insists that I have tomato plants. Last year I said "No tomatoes!" All I know how to do is rot the poor things. But Joseph brought home starts from a family at church (after I'd turned down an offer of starts from the same generous family a week earlier). I refuse to care for something that will rot. The little guys sat in their yogurt cups on my kitchen counter for weeks till dad came to visit. He rescued them and put them in big pots with lots of good soil and bid them grow.

This year was a little more of the same, but we had an actual patch of dirt to fill with tomato plants. Dad put in two little tomato starts, and they GREW! We got quite the tomato crop out of those two little plants. Our next door neighbor and land lady gave us some pepper plants, so we grew salsa this year. I had to buy the garlic and onions, but it was really quite amazing to eat something that grew right next to our back door. Thanks for the tomatoes, Dad!!! They were delicious!

J-boy got to play soccer this year - one of the awesome moms in our new circle of friends made her own little soccer league for 3-4-year-olds. She is a brave, patient woman. :) This was the last game & trophy ceremony. I love the picture on the bottom left - the kid on the bottom left corner is laying on top of the goal. It was kind of like wrestling-soccer. The coach had to call time-outs to remind the boys (and one girl) that hitting wasn't part of the game. J-boy had a great time, and adores his trophy.
It was a good summer.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

The Dooley Family said...

ADORABLE!!! I love the pictures of J-Boy!!

Dave said...

That salsa looks good...can you send me the recipe we used?

Patty said...

I love freshly made salsa. I'm so glad to see your back, I've missed your posts. Next, year you'll have to add basil to your garden. We grew basil and cilantro this year and feel so spoiled. Fresh pesto on pasta or pizza is the best. Good luck gardening.

Bonnie said...

Your salsa looks delicious -- I want to grow my own cilantro next year! Love you all!

Katie said...

Hurray! I've been looking forward to a Tara update! You don't disappoint. The salsa looks tasty, and J-Boy is so cute!

Thanks for the news.

Angie said...

I can't garden, either. I tried corn, squash, zuchinni, cilantro, and basil. The only thing that survived was basil--after it got moldy from being in the house, I took it outside and it did fine...but it never grew into a bush like my friends' basil.

Laura said...

I love a salsa garden! If you plant one little basil plant with your tomatoes, you can make homemade bruchetta (sp?), too!