Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and....

The Good:
There is a beautiful Conservatory in our new city that has a free community night once a month! It's a beautiful place - gorgeous indoor gardens covering everything from the desert to the Himalayan mountains to the tropical rainforest. There's butterfly gardens, and there is currently a gorgeous collection of Dale Chihuly's beautiful glass art on display.
The Bad:
I dutifully printed out directions and thought I knew where I was going. But between freeway closures and detours and a complete lack of any sense of direction, it took me about 50 minutes to drive what google maps said was an 18 minute drive.
Also, I guess late August is not a good time for butterflies. The few we saw were all kind of dying.

The Ugly:
(You knew it was coming. Brace yourself.)
Due to our extended travel time, we arrive flustered and anxious. One of my children (who will remain nameless) needs to use the restroom. We unload, pack up the stroller and stride off to the building, thinking that if we can just find the front door.....
We can't find the front door. I'm too frazzeled to read the whole sign, so I just follow the arrows to the side entrance, which is locked and deserted. My child is about to wet his/her pants. In complete desperation I cast my eyes about, toss said child over the rail into the bushes and let him/her just pee in the bushes. Not a soul in sight. Dreadful, yes. But I felt it was better than wet britches.
Until the voice came over the intercom, saying, "Ma'm, that's not a bathroom."
Video cameras in the corners and an intercom so security detail can give me a lesson in proper waste disposal.
Oh, the mortification! Oh, the shame!

Just lovely. Er, I mean, Ugly.

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAH!!!
That is awesome.
I am glad you lived through that just so you have that great story to tell :) Love it

Alison Woods said...

I would've done the same thing! Too bad there were video cameras and you were caught! Hilarious!

Carrie said...

That is the best story ever!!!! Thank you for sharing & documenting it for posterity. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Tara!! That must of been horrible. I am sooo sorry for your bad expereince.

Calli Potter said...

Oh my gosh Tara, I have to agree with Carrie in saying that that was truly the best story ever! What a memory... that some day, probably a long time from now, you will get a good laugh at!

Rachel said...

Love it! Funniest post I've read in a long time:)

Dave said...

Oh Tara, that just made my day... I love you guys!

heather said...

Love it!! And those pictures are great - did you take them?

Katie said...

Good times! I can't stop laughing.

bbfamwagon said...

Oh Tara -- you know this story is hilarious and you're going to laugh about it later, so you might as well just laugh now! We'll all help! Love you!

bbfamwagon said...

Beautiful pictures, by the way. We saw Chihuly glass at the Seattle Aquarium -- remember the jellyfish? Just gorgeous!

Laura said...

That is so funny!!!

Angie said...

That's funny!! It reminds me of the time when we left the zoo and a child needed to use the restroom...we were already at the car and the zoo was 1/4 mile away. He used the bushes in the parking lot. Same kid...Botanical Gardens...same idea...same thing. At least he didn't get caught on camera!! I'll bet the security guard was holding back laughter!

The Dooley Family said...

Wow....that is hilarious...

i mean, i'm so sorry! :o)