Saturday, December 13, 2008

Family Night in the Fall


This Fall was a lovely calm-before-the-storm. Joseph's class load was relatively light, his volunteer leadership activities concluded in September, and we actually got into a rather normal, Daddy-comes-home-in-time-for-dinner bit of a routine. It was lovely!!! I love it when Joseph comes home and puts the kids to bed -- he reads to them and brushes thier teeth oh-so-meticulously and tells them stories and sniggles them into bed. Truth be told, when I put them to bed, they (kind of) brush their own teeth, the bed time stories are few, and if they don't jump into bed right away, they often suffer the wrath of the mommy monster. No wonder the children sing, "I'm so glad when Daddy comes home...."

Anyway, the first Monday of November we had a picture perfect family night -- the weather was surprisingly mild, so after a QUICK lesson (we find the quick kind work the best!), we headed out to the park, kids on bike, baby in sling. It was so nice to linger outside one last time in short sleeves. :) Then we headed home, Joseph got the kids cleaned up and ready for bed while I made the treat - Peanut Butter Cup Cookies. Joseph has decreed these Better-Than-Almost-Anything Cookies (if you know what I mean.) They were fantastic, but be forewarned: they are not helpful in the quest to loose baby fat (and all the other fat that I'd like to blame on the baby)!

It's nice to look at these pictures now since we've been enduring survival-prep-for-boards mode for the past 4 weeks. Nothin' like a National Board Exam to motivate diligent studying, right? Joseph takes the test(s) next week on Wednesday and Thursday. Keep him in your prayers! I know he'll do well, but it's always good to have a little divine assistance if you can get it. :)
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Rachel said...

Aren't you gonna give us a recipe for these "better than almost anything" cookies?

Alison Woods said...

I'm glad to hear there's another mommy out there that loves it when the daddy does bedtime duty. I'm so exhausted by that point, it's like - throw them in there and shut the door! :) You're going to love it when school is over and Joseph is home a lot more!

Katie said...

Yum! I am following the link to those cookies. Thinking of you all as Joseph faces his boards. Good thoughts coming your way!

Andrea said...

I love when JOnathan does bedtime duty. Those daddies have a little more energy then we do since we have been taking care of them all day(even though they have been at work) Good Luck on the test. We will keep him in our prayers.

heather said...

I tried out those cookies last year for Christmas and loved them!! Maybe we could make them again at Mom and Dad's house for Christmas? :) I'm bringing a couple other recipes for treats ... so we could make a whole plateful! :) Love you! Can't wait to see you!!

bbfamwagon said...

My, but I have beautiful grandchildren -- can't wait to see them in less than a week! I like Heather's idea -- the cookies and treats sound great!

Dayna said...

We are planning on going to the New Years party. I am so excited to see everyone..we missed the family reunion last year so it has been so long since I have got to hang out with any of my awesome cousins!! Can't wait to see you!

Angie said...

Sounds like Joseph is studying pretty hard...I hope that doesn't mean that he's planning on specializing!

Missy said...

I got your comment, Tara. Thanks for all your nice compliments! And I would LOVE to see you guys for Christmas! And do a shoot for you too...I'll be around but I already have 2 scheduled for the Saturday after Christmas...so You'll have to tell me what you want to do!

Lu said...

Good luck with everything and hope you have a wonderful Christmas w/family!

Becca Shirts said...

That's so funny about the "Daddy routine" because that's exactly how it is at our house! The kids definitely prefer Daddy to put them to bed then pregnant/angry/hormonally imbalanced Mommy! And less cavities this way as well! :)

HLFackrell said...

Another great success story.

Katie said...

I finally made these cookies... they are FABULOUS!