Monday, September 29, 2008

Happy Birthday, K-girl!


Ms. K turned SIX this month! It is so wild to see her getting so big. She is such a fun girl. The big day was busy -- I helped K and J make mini cupcakes in the morning to share with her class at school. J-boy, A and I got to share the treats during the last 10 minutes of class -- K made sure everyone got 2 mini cupcakes, even when it meant she only got one. After school we went to Sonic for Happy Hour slushes, then rushed home so I could finish wrapping gifts! We went to dinner at Red Robin (K's choice), and I think we just might make it a monthly Monday night tradition -- Monday is 'Family Night' at our Red Robin -- they have a fantastic balloon artist, and the kids get free milkshakes! After dinner we rushed home for cake and ice cream with Grandma and Grandpa L and Aunt Sonya & Uncle John and their kids. It was a great day!


On the following Saturday we had a friend party. After several years of princess/fairy/PINK parties, we branched out this year to enjoy a cooking party. We made aprons out of cloth napkins (adapting an idea for dishtowel aprons), and chef hats out of tissue paper. The girls played games, made their own little english muffin pizza and decorated cookies. Thank heavens for the internet -- I love borrowing other peoples' great ideas!!!

So here are a few of my favorite things about my lovely little K-lady:

K is such a good BIG SISTER! This morning I was sitting in Baby A's room feeding the baby, and K and J-boy came in. J-boy struck his best ninja pose, made a mean face and said, "I'm gunna go kill the bad guys!" K immediately jumped into a complimentary ninja pose, and said, "Okay, let's go get 'em!" J jumped out of his pose and ran off, K looked at me with a very grown up look of indulgence, leaned toward me and whispered conspiratorially, "He's such a funny brother!"

She's always trying to keep J-boy out of trouble (he seems to be in trouble a lot these days...). He's big into trantrums, and she soothes and cajoles and pleads and gives in to him regularly. One of K's favorite things to do is hold her baby sister -- especially when she's dressed in what K deems 'cute clothes.' The other day K got upset with me that she only got to hold A in the morning while she was wearing her non-cute PJ's. :)

I don't know if it's in her blood or if it's from my influence, but she loves MUSIC! She hums along with the background music in movies -- she just can't seem to help herself! She plays the piano and practices her lesson without being nagged - and she really just loves it! Nature or nurture? You decide.

She tries very hard to make sure everyone is HAPPY. She'll notice when I'm starting to get frazzeled or frustrated, and she'll come over, put a hand on my arm, look into my eyes and say, "Mom, I sure love you!" She loves to go swimming with her dad -- she loves to make him proud.

And lest you think she's too good to be true, she's also got a devious little streak -- more than once, J-boy has come down the stairs asking me where his cousin T is, or asking what his special treat is, or asking what his new movie is. You see, K & J share a room, and occasionally K will be less than honest with her little brother in an attempt to gain some personal play time and space. That's my cue to give K a 3 sentence lecture on telling the truth, and then engage J-boy in something that gives K a little break from her brother. :) Sneaky little bugger, isn't she?
Anyway, we're grateful to have her! So Happy Birthday, big sister! Thanks for being so great!


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

robyncreates said...

She sounds like such a treasure! Glad she had a great bday and I am with you-thank goodness for others' ideas for parties and such off the internet. You sounds like such a fun mom and all of your party pics look like you give the best parties! love the aprons and hats!!

Missy said...

You sure pull off great b-day parties!! Cambree's b-day is in less than a week! All I've got is the cupcake idea!!

Angela said...

She is so beautiful! That looks like a fun party!
I love how you "scrapbook" your pictures for the blog. Very pretty!

Rachel said...

Ok, I'm gonna have to break down and get some digital scrapbooking software...especially since I'm too lazy to actually scrapbook these days! Love the apron idea & the cute stories:)

heather said...

Six years old?! My goodness. She is a doll, and I love all your favorite things about her - how cute!

Bonnie said...

Please give K (and J and A) a big hug and kiss for me -- what a sweetheart and how much we miss her!

Katie said...

I am so glad that you have such great kids. And I'm glad that K is such a good big sister... given what a good big sister you always were, I am not surprised!

Katie said...

I am so glad that you have such great kids. And I'm glad that K is such a good big sister... given what a good big sister you always were, I am not surprised!

Angie said...

What a great post about your daughter. She sounds like a sweetie.

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday K!! You are so creative Tara. I wish I could come up with everything you do.