Thursday, September 18, 2008

A View of a Room



Baby A's room is done! Of course, there's still 2 or 3 little things I have tucked in the back of my mind to take care of at a later date, but for now, it's time to move on. :) I've never really gone all out on a baby's room -- the timing just wasn't right for J or K. And since we won't be having another baby for a long time (if we have another baby...), I'm trying to squeeze this baby phase for all it's worth. So this time that included a nursery. I started collecting fabrics and ideas when I was about 5 months pregnant. The fabrics and baskets I bought new, everything else came to me some other way. The crib is the same one J and K used, the bookshelf was another trash find (the same bookshelf of the infamous painting incident), the changing table is on loan from a friend, the lazy boy is second hand (and covered in white sheets... maybe someday I'll be able to justify plunking down $75 on a slip cover...), the little side table came from a garage sale (thanks, Heidi!). I love to use music - lyrics or printed music - to add some meaning to the final touches, so I used the song My Heavenly Father Loves Me for A's room -- I think it turned out pretty sweet. Anyway, here's a few things I learned from the process:

-always lock the door if you're too lazy to wash out the paint roller :)
-just START. Once I'd finally settled on all the fabric and my 'design' for all the sewing, I was completely intimidated and just stewed over it for 2 weeks.
-dying fabric basket liners is much more efficient than sewing new ones! (thanks mom!)
-always buy more paint than you think you'll need (5 cans of spray paint and 4 trips to WalMart later...)
-it helps to have help! I was pretty burned out when my parents came through town, and mom worked on the baskets for me (painting and dying... it was all very tragic... hee hee). Heidi found the recliner (I HIGHLY recommend having a recliner in a new baby's room - way better than a little rocker!) and the side table, and kept the bookshelf in her garage after 'bulky trash' until I was ready to paint it. Andrea was my 'consultant' and went with me to USA Baby to look for ideas and plan, and my sister Kendra helped with the scrappy bits - the tags on the baskets and the picture hanging over the changing table. Now I think about all these ladies when I'm sitting in that chair in the middle of the night, looking around the room as I nurse A. :) So thanks for your help!!
-power tools are empowering. :) I used my father-in-law's router to make the sign that hangs under the big A. I found some directions online, got more (and better) directions over the phone from my dad, and then talked to my father-in-law to make sure I was putting the bit in right. It was the first time I'd ever used a router, and I'm so addicted. When I was done in my make-shift wood shop, I was covered in sawdust, dripping sweat (it was a warm day), and happy as a clam. I told my FIL how much I love his router when I was about to return it, and he said, "Keep it for a few more weeks -- let me know how the projects go." So if you'd like to rout a hunk of wood and make it beautiful, come on by. :)
-I love my Cricut. I used it to cut the lettering for the sign, the song lyrics above the bookshelf, the tags for the baskets, and the scrappy part of the picture above the changing table. I got it at the After-Thanksgiving sale at WalMart for $120 (way better than the $300 sticker price!!). And if you have really nice friends with fun cartridges, you might be able to borrow them!! Thanks, Calli and Ashley!!! :)

Anyway, I love having this room for A -- and I'm pretty sure she loves it, too. Even when she's fussy and tired, I lay her down on the changing table and she'll just start cooing and smiling and looking around and kicking her wee little legs (she's got really cute wee little legs, in case you're wondering). Anyway, her sweet little room is a good place to be. :) Even for those 5 am feedings.
Posted by Picasa

20 comments:

Brunson's said...

Tara
I love it. It turned out so cute. I love the colors. Way to go! You are amazing.

Dave said...

The room looks fabulous!! Angela wants a cricut...and a sewing machine...and a router (I actually agree with that one).

We love you

Becky said...

Very cute! Sounds like it was a lot of work. But it's sure to make you happy every time you go in there, right?!? Good job!

Ashlee said...

Soooo cute! You did such a great job. I'm impressed ..even your bedding and curtains!

Dayna said...

WOW! I love the colors you picked for the room and you are so creative! I can't believe that you sewed all those things. It is truley awesome! By the way, I was wondering how to get into digital scrapbooking...got any advice or pointers? I need all the help I can get with what programs I need,websites, how to even put a page together, etc.. Thanks! Yes, I love having short hair..most of the time. Yesterday I wanted to pull it up into a ponytail so bad but had to resort to the headband.

heather said...

Okay, you are officially the coolest mom ever! :) I LOVE the room, it really does look fabulous! L's room is still far from done, and it won't look near as cool as A's!! Angela has a ton of those kind of signs with phrases on them in their house and I want to learn how to make them! I don't know anyone with a router though ... is there any other way?

Angela said...

I just decided that we NEED to live closer to each other so we can share "tools"!!
Tara, the rooms looks wonderful!! I love the combination of fabrics and textures. The lettering is so perfect! I'm in love with the baskets, and I could go on and on. You did awesome!

robyncreates said...

WOW!!!!! This is gorgeous! I have never gone all out for any of my kids' rooms either. I have plans for them now, but have yet to start them. The living room came first, then the kitchen...hopefully someday soon...Love the colors and the song you used! Who wouldn't want to hang out in that room and how peaceful and happy it must feel!

Missy said...

DANG!! I wish you lived closer!! You KNOW how to dream up a room!! AND how to do it cheap!! Thanks for all the instructions...I'll have to use them someday!

Alison Woods said...

Good job, it looks great!

Christal said...

Tara! It looks CUTER than a magazine picture! That baby has THE most cheerful room on the block! Your creativity always wows me. Good job!!!!!

Rachel said...

It's so cute and cheerful! I think I'll have to check those after thanksgiving sales this year...

Ericka said...

Tara, what a cute room! Good job, its nice to get some inspiration. I need to get thinking of what I want to do for Casen...any ideas for boys?

Bonnie said...

Tara, this is just wonderful -- what's the little framed sign next to the lamp? Here's another good reason to live near your folks: your dad's shop! I don't have the imagination, but think what you & your siblings & in-laws could do with all his tools!

Love you!

Katie said...

Hurray! The room is adorable. I can't wait to meet Baby A... someday!

Guess what? I FINALLY put up (some) wedding pictures.

Andrea said...

OH MY HECK!! It turned out amazing. I just love it. All the colors turned out great, and I like it better then the one at USA baby.

Angie said...

That is just so cute! It's really looks amazing, like it just came off of a show room.
It's making me feel like the biggest SLACKER! I mean, our babies are the same age, we both have 3 kids, and I have my baby's quilt done. That's it. I'm stuck with everything else. So, please come be my consultant! (You can squeeze in a trip to the temple while you're at it!)
I'm seriously motivated to finish painting her room this week. Maybe I can have her room done by Thanksgiving. That's a reasonable goal, right?!

HLFackrell said...

The room looks great! You should be pleased with all the work you put into it. I'm tired just thinking abouit it.

Dayna said...

Tara, my email is daynablauer@hotmail.com, thanks for helping me with this.

Krysta said...

Very cute room! I love it! You have to have a cute room for those late night/early morning feedings. Somewhere for you both to be happy!