Tuesday, October 2, 2012

K-lady is 10!

My sweet K-lady is 10 years old now.  We spread her special day out over a week so we could fit in as much partying as possible.  Okay, as much partying as I could take.  She probably could have gone for a bit more.  :)  So the day of her birthday, we had a few other things already on the calendar, but she and I had a little shopping date and she got her ears pierced!  What a grown up!!
Then a week later we did her breakfast in bed - french toast, strawberries & whipped cream with a side of fruit smoothie, kiwi and pop tart. :)  Later that day we had friends over for her party!!!!  We only do parties every other year because I'm a little over the top (Joseph puts up with all my drama for about a month beforehand as I make things WAY more complicated than they need to be...).  :)  Anyway, K-lady wanted a movie party this year, so we found a little internet inspiration and ran with it!
 

This was supposed to sit outside w/ a 'red carpet' but it was raining, so it sat in the entry instead. :)  Did you know Adobe Acrobat can print your files tiled across pages to make big posters out of 8.5x11 pages??  I loved it!
We started out with movie charades - these kids are funny.  Then we moved on to a little paper craft (making stars), photo 'booth' (cardstock-and-kabob stick props), lunch (pizza & chips & fruit), and headed down to the 'theater' (family room w/ lights off, blinds drawn)  :)





They 'bought' the treats @ the concessions stand (K-lady LOVED playing cashier) with Movie Money they earned playing charades, making crafts and eating the healthy portion of lunch. :)  Then they watched The Lorax for 86 minutes of blissful peace, then back upstairs for 'autograph books' -- they each got copies of the pictures we'd taken & decorated their own little books and signed them for each other.  Then presents, cake, ice cream and we were done!!!




Thank you thank you Heidi and Joseph for all your awesome help!!!!!!!!!!!
And as for K-lady....
She is the best oldest sister I could ask for - J-boy and Girly-A don't know how lucky they are to have such a sweet big sister.  She's is Girly-A's second momma, and J-boy's favorite playmate.  She's anxious to do good and be good, and I love that part of her personality.  This year she's started playing the violin in school orchestra, she's enjoying her [mandatory] piano lessons much more, and she's taking gymnastics.  She swims like a fish, and devours books like a bibliosaurus. (that's a book-hungry-dinosaur from one of our silly children's songs albums in case you aren't familiar with the term)   :)  We've been reading chapter books aloud - a couple of chapters a week when bedtime occurs early enough to allow it.  K-lady inevitably sneaks the book away to her room at some point to read ahead, but she happily snuggles up on my bed with her brother and sister for the next installment of reading-aloud, even if it's stuff she's already read.
When she was younger she was so worried about being a big kid - she used to shy away from holding my hand in public, or saying, "I love you!" when I'd drop her off at school.  But she's grown out of that (or youthened out of it???)  Now she's okay with all of that stuff.  I'm not sure what changed, but it seems like she's more settled in her skin as a kid (albeit a double-digits-nearly-pre-teen-kid!), and more willing to enjoy those little kid moments.  I love that.
I love her.  She's a keeper.

6 comments:

Alison Woods said...

Again, I see my family on your blog! Fun! I have the same philosophy about celebrating birthday longer than one day. Awesome! Great party. I didn't know that tip about Adobe Acrobat. I'll have to try that!

Kendra Mitts said...

I totally need your creative ideas for Ginny's birthday parties.

Scottay said...

Wow I cannot believe she is 10! T-Sis that party looked so awesome. Great job! I'm wanting to make a video of the last beach hike like yours but I think your creativity and artistic abilities far outmatch my own. Haha Love you!

heather said...

AWESOME!! That was beyond awesome! That was ... BEAWESOME! (have you seen Bolt? L-man's been saying this phrase lately, and I find it fits perfectly in this situation!) Happy Birthday K-lady! Love, love, love you!

bbfamwagon said...

That party was over the top, and your not so little K-Lady is such a sweetheart! I just got her thank you note today and it is so touching, thank you for teaching her to do that! Love you all!

Angela said...

Oh how fun!!! Love this party! You are awesome! Love K-lady so much! You forgot to mention she is sweetest cousin too! =) Give her a big hug from us please!