Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Back in May...

Yes, back in May...
 I went w/ the 2nd grade classes on a field trip to the park - water balloons, many variations of tag, sidewalk chalk, bubbles and playgrounds.  Good old fashioned fun, and the kids LOVED it.
 This sassy little miss also had a piano recital and a piano festival.  She was mildly (okay, completely) terrified at the festival, but she did wonderfully well -- she got a I+!  And got to play at the Honor's Recital that afternoon, which she considered punishment rather than honor, but it's all good.  :)  I put off blogging about it because I wanted to upload the video, but technical difficulties abound and I'm about ready to swap out the computer anyway, so we'll just make do with photos and imagine the lovely music, 'kay?
 K-lady's group lessons were taught by two teachers and a student teacher, and her 2nd grade teacher came to her recital to cheer her on - so sweet!
 We enjoyed a much-too-short visit from Heather and Ryan & their beautiful kiddos - oh my goodness I love those guys!!!  We stayed up WAY too late eating yummy Quinoa lettuce wraps and making s'mores and reading 'one last story' and just soaking in the good company.  It kind of broke my heart all over again watching them drive away.  WHY is my family so darn spread out?!  As soon as we pay off the dental practice and house and student loans I'm going to buy an airplane!!!!!!!!
 We went up to Omaha for an overnight stay and a visit to the Winter Quarters Temple.  So beautiful, and peaceful and wonderful.  Then on the way home we looped over to see my in-laws and visit a cousin who was in town and drove right past the still-under-construction Kansas City Temple!  It was the first time I've seen it in person, and it quite literally took my breath away!  I'm so excited to have a temple in Kansas City. It is amazing the peace and perspective and comfort that comes from attending the temple.  I could always use a little more of that in my life!
 The elementary school had a family cook out on what was supposed to be field day, but it got rained out and we had to eat in the cafeteria.  But foot long hot dogs are fun no matter the weather, right?

And then a visit to Wichita to see Tiff and Matt and their beautiful kiddos.  Tiff and I were roommates for almost 3 years in college.  She's from KS and married a boy from WA and I'm from WA and married a boy from KS.  Makes for good visiting every couple of years! :)
 Fun was had by all (running water and horse troughs and pioneer games and rope swings @ Old Cowtown Museum)
 We played on the little reconstructed railroad and in the school house - the kids actually sat for a good 10 minutes listening to the re-enactment of a graduation ceremony.  It was like they were in a trance.  I wish I could do that to my Sunday School kids.  :)  And the bowling in the alley was a big hit!
 Then back to Tiff's mom's place for some time in the field of daisies. :)  And a little movie to hypnotize the kids while Tiff/Matt and Joseph/I snuck away for a quick little dinner date (Tiff's wonderful mom/step dad/sister watched the kiddos for us)
 We had to pry Matt away from Curious George.  :)
 Back at the home front Joseph persevered (in spite of a murmuring wife) and planted a garden.  And made a strawberry planter that never got it's strawberry plants.  But the garden did produce peppers, zucchini, several cantaloupe and a handful of tomatoes, and we enjoyed fresh basil, parsley, rosemary and peppermint from my little contribution: the herb pot.  :)  We grew food!!!  Yay!  We're excited to try a non-tilling/lasagna layering/mega-mulching sort of garden next Spring if we can get it started this Fall.
 A lovely Memorial Day campout @ Jake and Jen's, complete with rides on the new lawnmower, fishing, canoe rides, and a pancake breakfast @ the park.
And we ended out the month w/ a kid-swap w/ our friends the Bill's - they took K-lady, and we got Sarah for a few days.  J-boy and Sarah had a grand time together - they are such good little buddies!

And now I'm only 4 months behind. :)

4 comments:

heather said...

Oh it is so lovely to see these pictures! Your children are such sweet kids, and I miss them terribly. I really appreciate all the catch up - so if you need motivation then know how much I love it. I need to call you and ask you all sorts of questions about life these days. Love you!

Tiffny said...

LOVED the Matt watching the DVD picture. Laughed so hard.
"We made the blog. I kinda feel like a super star" -Me
"Somehow, I don't" -Matt
Wish we could visit every month. Guess when you get that plane.

The Dahle Family said...

So fun, you got to visit Tiff? I haven't talked to her in ages! I'm glad they're doing well! You guys were the best roomies ever!! Too bad you were all married when I got off my mission so we couldn't relive the old days. Love ya!

Katie said...

Love your photos. You are so artistic, and I love reading about your family! Wish I had your eye... I feel like babyhood is passing me by with little or no record of my daughter's cuteness.