Monday, February 11, 2008

Derby's and Dancin'

We've had some fun the past few weekends with some unusual activities (for us, at least). Last week the Elders' Quorum hosted a no-rules pinewood derby -- the only restriction on the cars was no open flames. :) Joseph and his buddies worked on their car long and hard, and ended up taking 2nd place after a few modifications mid-race. You'll have to email him for the specifics of how it all worked, because I'm just the cheerleader.

Then this last Saturday we got together with some of Joseph's family for a night of fancy footwork -- Joseph's parents' ward was hosting a Luau fundraiser for the youth. They had lovely lei's and funky food and heavenly hulas, and for some reason they invited our family to swing dance as part of the floor show to top it all off (odd combo, but it was fun all the same). So mom & dad broke out the newsies hats, and we cut a rug. :) At 4 months pregnant we weren't too ambitious with crazy dance moves. But the others' expertise more than made up for it - I think everyone had fun in the end.

Yes, for those of you who are long distance, I cut my hair again. Hey, why not? :)
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Missy said...

A Pinewood Derby for adults...that is too fun!
You all look so cute and I would've loved to see you dancin'!

Calli Potter said...

I love the Newsies look! Too Cute! I think it's great that you all swing dance.. it is a skill I think would be so fun to learn!

Andrea said...

I didn't know you could swing dance. I want to learn. Why don't you just teach me everything you know. Are you sick of me trying to soak up all your knowledge before you leave. I just love you. You are amazing.

Tara said...

Maybe that was misleading -- Joseph and I don't really know what we're doing. We have about 4 moves we can actually remember - the rest we have to re-learn from my brother-in-law every time we get together. :)

heather said...

I love your hair! You are so beautiful!! Love you!

Angela said...

You do look beautiful with the cute haircut and maternity shirt!

Bonnie said...

We've been discussing at Primary pres. mtgs. that the dads need to have their own Pinewood Derby, apart from the Cubs. I just hope that in the elders' quorum, the losers don't cry.

P.S. Your hair is very cute! How about a close-up so we can get a better look?

Tara said...

Our Primary pres. says we need to budget in the cost of therapy for the cub scouts following the pine wood derby!! :) No, the elders' didn't cry, but Joseph was sorely disappointed in his car pre-mid-race-modifications. He needed his close-second to justify all the time he'd spent on that box of wood and compressed air!

Tara said...

(sorry, I forgot - if you want to see the picture up close I think you can click on it and it will enlarge to the original size - it works most of the time...) :) Love you all!!

Jessica said...

Where is Joseph's suspenders?