Wednesday, January 12, 2011

To blog or not to blog....

This is mostly just stream of consciousness with very little pictures.  (in other words, feel free to go ahead and skip it; as my sister says, I won't judge.)   :)
So the last 6 months or so I've been wondering about this blog - I try to be careful about too much detail and information about my family (Joseph's brother thinks I'm nuts to even put my kids faces on an unsecured internet site).  So I didn't blog much about how Joseph was traveling a lot last Spring looking for a job.  And I didn't blog about all the turmoil that went along with looking for that job.  Dentists tend to get a job and stay put, you know?  And we've never stayed put in all our married lives - and to be quite honest, the thought terrified me. :)  Especially as it turned out - we didn't get our first, our second, or even our third pick for location.  What we ended up with was a place that wasn't even on the list at all.  But we prayed and prayed and made lists of pros and cons and hashed it all out till we were blue in the face (figuratively) and decided that this out-of-the-way little town was really the best choice.  Along the way I learned beyond a doubt what a real NO felt like (that was dental practice serious option number 1), and then Joseph learned what a NO felt like (that was dental practice serious option number 2).  Time was running our, options were dwindling, and I kept waiting for the NO on this place, but it didn't come.
But it was pretty hard for me.  At first I was just too sad to blog -- generally speaking, I only blog about happy stuff. :)  I know that might seem like a pretty incomplete view of life, and I'm sure it is, but I stuck the disclaimer right there on the blog header - we're remembering the good times here!  I am an optimist and an editor - I write down painful lessons learned in my journal with all their maudlin details and save the blog for the cheerful, photo-opportune moments.  :)  And the flash on my camera was broken, and our new apartment has very little natural light, so even non-cheerful photo opps weren't happening!
Anyway, after being sad for a few months I had a little life-changing moment.  I'd spent the weekend in UT, surprising my dad for his 70 birthday.  We had a grand grand time - it was so lovely!  Mindy was there, and we laughed more in those 3 days than I think I had in 3 months.  It felt so good.  I cried all the long way home (2 hr. drive to the airport in the rental car, 1 hr flight to phoenix for the connection, 3 hour layover while the plane was repaired, 2 hr. flight to final destination, 1/2 hr. drive to friends' house for the night, sleep for 5 hrs, 1 1/2 hr. drive home.  That was a lot of crying!)  I continued to feel extremely sorry for myself for a couple days, then was asked to teach a lesson on gratitude for a midweek activity at church.  Great - most ungrateful person on the planet is going to teach gratitude, right?  But I know by now that those lessons are always for ME, not for anyone I'm teaching.
That lesson gave me the shift in perspective I needed to get out of my pity party.  This quote sums it all up:


Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life.
It turns what we have into enough, and more.
It turns denial into acceptance,
chaos to order,
confusion to clarity.
It can turn a meal into a feast,
a house into a home,
a stranger into a friend.
Gratitude makes sense of our past,
brings peace for today
and creates a vision for tomorrow.
~Melody Beattie

So I am grateful for a good job for my husband - stressful at times, to be sure, and not where I wanted it to be, and very very busy - but good.  I am grateful that because of that good job, I can stay home with my kids and indulge in all kinds of introspection. :) I'm grateful that our home is small and imperfect, because it means we're saving money on rent, and hopefully someday we'll be able to put that extra money towards a house that won't be quite so small and quite to imperfect.  I'm grateful that our town is little, because it means that I won't be distracted by 2 million things (only 200), and I can focus on my family.  I'm grateful that I have a mother and father and siblings that I miss terribly, because that means that my home growing up was filled with love, and that love can (and does) stretch over time and space. I'm grateful for my 'job' - I've been accompanying up at the university here, and I'm enjoying it immensely.  It's so nice to have to practice again, to see the progress I can make, to challenge myself.  Having that extra responsibility has given me a sense of productivity I was really lacking.  And I'm even grateful that we've got a new 'home town' - unwanted-at-first though it was.  We feel welcomed and needed here, and it's the perfect time to build our own home, our own family, our own traditions and systems.  And I think this semi-sheltered small town will be a gentle sort of place in which to make small mistakes.  Which is really what we want for our family.  See, Heavenly Father DOES know what He's doing.  What a comfort!  So, of course, I'm grateful for answered prayers - even when the answer is an uncomfortable no or an even-more-uncomfortable yes, it all works out eventually.

So at first I was too sad to blog, then I got to busy to blog, and I didn't have many cute photos anyway.  :)  But I rather like jabbering at my family at the other end of the internet, so I think I'll keep going afterall.  At least occasionally!  :)





19 comments:

Sheffer's said...

thanks for sharing your thoughts. I needed to hear them today. We've been going through similar changes in our home. Even though we haven't moved for James' job, things have changed here and we're trying to adjust. We have to find a new place (of sorts) in the ward now that we're no longer "students", and that's been interesting (and continues to be awkward at times for me). We also know that at some point in time we'll be leaving this bigger area and moving to a slower, smaller area. It will be interesting. Life is good, but hard. I miss you and your family. I'm glad we get to be near each other, though, even though we only talk on the internet. :)

Alison Woods said...

Tara, I cried as I read your post. I've been there, am there and agree with you completely. I love that quote on gratitude. It sums it all up perfectly. Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts. I hope you do it more.

Anonymous said...

Tara you such an inspiration to me. I love your perspective on life. I want to be like you when I grow up!!

Angela said...

Thanks for sharing your feelings Tara. I might print that quote to remind me to be thankful on those days when I feel too impatient for 2026 (the year we get to retire from the Air Force =))
Love you and miss you!

Kathy Wall said...

Love it all!!!

Sarah said...

Thank you Tara...I really needed the reminder. I appreciate your thoughts on gratitude and realize that I need to write mine down too. It was so good to see you for the brief hours over the holidays.

kristi said...

Dear Tara,
I miss you. I miss Columbus. Your family is wonderful and I am so glad that we got to be friends. Thanks for putting your thoughts down. It is really times like these that the struggling brings so much peace, because we were able to focus and stress on the situation. Then we are able to take a deep breath and know that we are where we need to be under the care of a loving Heavenly Father.
You are doing, and have always done, a fantastic job. You are an amazing woman. Hopefully we will meet again.

heather said...

Love this Tara. And love you even more. Where did you find this quote? It is perfect. You always seem to find the best quotes. :) Love you!

Andrea said...

I am so glad you have decided to keep it going. Your title scared me. I am glad that you are feeling better and I hope that it continues to do so.

Dave said...

Please, please, please keep going. I love you.

Mindora.Mae said...

Cried when I read the post and cried again reading all the comments! It's good to know that my sweet sweet sister is so appreciated. :) I'm sorry it's been such a struggle for you, but very happy to hear you sounding like yourself again. Love you so much!

Lisa said...

Tara, those were some wonderful shared thoughts and feelings that I know I have had a lot of those one time or another. Things are always changing and that can be so hard sometimes. I know the hard part is getting through, but I also know, that's how we grow and become stronger. You have a wonderful family and you are such a beautiful fun person that it's not hard to like you. It is always good to hear others experiences to put your own in perspective. Even if it is hard to share.

bbfamwagon said...

Tara, I've been pondering what to say in response to this very sweet post. Love you so much, miss you all. Thank you for the tremendous influence for good that you are in our family. We are so blessed!

Katie said...

Yay! I've been waiting for another Tara post. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for putting up that lovely photo.

I'm glad things are sorting themselves out... always thought when we reached adulthood we would just be... stable. But it doesn't work that way, does it?

And I can't help being the tiniest bit grateful for that!

Lu said...

Tara-I loved reading your post. So honest. Thanks for sharing with us! You are awesome:]

Unknown said...

I had to read this one twice - it was that good. :) That quote is beautiful as well. I miss you and hope things continue to get better for you & your family. Lots of love!

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing. My blog posts have been sparse for the same reasons. Life just isn't easy right now and honestly hard and stressful. But there are plenty of things to be grateful for, and that always gives me hope for a better tomorrow. I just don't know when that will be! Hopefully soon!

TheSchmierneys said...

That settles it you'll just have to come back to Columbus! :) To borrow a line from Garth Brooks "Some of God's Greatest gifts are unanswered prayers"

The Dahle Family said...

I'm glad you opted for "to blog." I haven't read your blog in a super duper long time and it was great to come on over and feel reconnected to you. I feel like sharing those kind of experiences where the Lord tutors you in daily life is part of following the recent counsel we've been given to use the internet to spread the gospel. Personal? Yes. But isn't our testimony always personal? Thanks!